Monday, September 6, 2010

"The Leopard"

Visconti's film, made in 1963, is running in Dublin at the moment.

Lampedusa is a must-read for anybody interested in political upheavals and the efforts made by individuals to change the world.

Since real life on our streets at present seems to be straight out of "A Clockwork Orange", it is helpful to have a work of art that gives a wider historical viewpoint.

White Tulip

2 comments:

Peter Rozovsky said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I did read the novel years ago. I'm not sure it expresses a viewpoint one often thinks of when one thinks of political upheaval. That's a good thing.
==================================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com

Photographe à Dublin said...

I think that Garibaldi would have been surprised to know this...

If you do want to see the film, be sure to go to the cinema. The tableaux and set pieces are astonishingly beautiful (though I did keep my eyes tight shut during the battle, which went on forever and is a warning to anybody who thinks armed revolution is a good idea).

Many reviewers on the internet today find the work melancholic, but it is actually shot through with fine ironic humour. I noticed this time round I laughed (probably not PC) at scenes that were taken with grim seriousness by other members of the audience.

Do people laugh less nowadays?
I saw "Fellini, Roma" in Paris in the early 1970's along with an audience which rocked the cinema with mirth.

It was banned in Ireland at the time, I think, though I'm not sure.
All the classics were banned...