Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A New Literary Form?

... the comment.

"No comment" was the reply of choice, mostly by politicians, for the years I was growing up. Passing comments was considered to be the height of bad manners.

All is now changed, changed utterly...

Comments clog the Blogosphere like a form of pond algal growth. They float atop the deeper words of wisdom beneath, sometimes magnifying their importance... more often than not, causing diversions, deviations and not a few rows.

I commented a few moments on "Detectives Beyond Borders".

Perhaps Twitter may be the best forum for comments, leaving well thought out discussion for the more serious comment box on blogs?

Here is what I wrote:

"NOBODY comments on my blog...EVER...

I'm now wondering if many gems have been swallowed by the comment system, though this is probably a pipe dream.

Here's hoping this gets sorted out.

In the meantime, you could perhaps use Twitter as an impromptu forum for discussion?

I ran Tweetclean yesterday and found that 41% of the Twits I am following are guilty of "potentially dodgy behaviour".

Brave New World... etc.,..."

It has also come to my attention that the "d" key, while typing, acted up strangely and the original comment looks like the ravings of a demented "d" deficient poster.

Ah well....

5 comments:

Cathy said...

I have commented once or twice, I think, and am drawn again by serendipity: one book I am reading whilst writing up my thesis is Zero Comments, blogging and critical internet culture, by Geert Lovink. A bit on the heavy side, but interesting nonetheless

Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

It's nice to see my "cri de coeur" did not go unanswered.

I have to admit I tend to give academic writing a wide berth. Some of the English critics I read as a student left me dizzy.

However, I'll look up Lovink. Dutch analysts have taken to the Internet with gusto and I met a Google afficiando recently who was a mine of information.

It will be interesting to see your thoughts on the comment systems that operate at present, if you have a moment to post.

Also, the intergenerational studies should take off this year. Are there many people interested?

Peter Rozovsky said...

Dodgy twits ... Hmm, I quite like that.

Photographe à Dublin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Photographe à Dublin said...

They're everywhere, you know...

Thanks for commenting here.

It has saved me re-joining the great discussion about comments which is currently raging on your blog.

I now wonder if 140 characters are not quite enough for most interactions online.

Many years ago, faced with students from Europe bilitted in our house, I decided that
"Yes, No and Stop" were the only essential words one needed to know how to say in any language.