Friday, October 29, 2010

The Fetishization of the Text?

The question of what is a "book" is being seriously debated thanks to new technologies.

Some cannot find comfort in reading online and need a physical object in paper and glue to make the experience feel real.

For me, a book is a lived engagement with words... it could be read aloud and still be a book. "Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil"

As Cicero said, "Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil".

The translations are numerous and conjure up many images of a person who has both a garden and a library and who wants for nothing more.

For me, an image of an indoor planting in a room devoted to learning appears...

I have tried to post a comment on a blog about this, but it does not seem possible...

"This has certainly set me thinking.

A book, while linked to technology, seems to float in a realm of its own."

4 comments:

Fred said...

What doesn't seem possible?

I don't understand your comment.


A book is a personal engagement, but somehow a flat screen monitor on a desk is impersonal and cold to me.

Reading is more than just words, at least for me. It is sitting in a specific position, the tactile experience of the book (cover and pages), the smell, the overall visual experience, and the words.

Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

Thank you for taking time to comment, Fred.

My comment on your blog did not show up at once, so I assumed it had got lost.

In fact, it is there now.

I think that many people have exactly the experience you describe when reading online.

A friend who writes novels has the same experience as you. It's difficult for many people to engage fully with a screen.

I think the fact that I enjoy graphic art has made computing seem so dramatic, in comparison to print.

Fred said...

I have it set up that comments appear only after I approve them, just as you do. It cuts out the spam and obscene messages.

The computer certainly has made graphic arts much more available for all than in the past.

Many years ago, when a child, I was an avid comic book reader. However, I found the printed word absorbed me to a much greater degree and I eventually went to all print texts.

So, graphics do interest me, but my main interest today is in the printed word.

Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

I still admire the comics, but have not read them for years.

The links between image and text are well worth studying.

I hope I'll be able to drop moderation in a while, as it reduces spontaneity.