Thursday, January 20, 2011

I Love the Smell of Cordite in the Morning...

Having promised a post on Joseph Conrad and "Lord Jim", I find myself pulled up short.

Full of insights into the colonial world which is the wide setting for the book, able to grasp the nuances of the leitmotiv "he was one of us"
I am very lacking in practical information on the realities of war and gun running that rippled through all Conrad's work.

Conrad's pen is dipped in blood, his narratives have the stench of explosive materials.
He explores the nooks and crannies of darkness that most of us choose to ignore.

He shocks, but he does not humiliate.
He does not flinch from exploring violence, but he does not drag the reader into the morass.

What most took my attention when I first read his books is the fineness with which he guages how some manage to survive in extreme circumstances, while others do not.

"Lord Jim is a book that any thin skinned reader might, with value, read.

I shall come back to it next week...


Mangroves, Singapore

however...

I may be some time...

No comments: