Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Colour Symbolism for the Canny Writer

I could not have been happier for Queen Elizabeth II when she came to Dublin today.

Her dressmaker, having her best interests at heart, decided against Emerald Green, which tends to suit those of a dark complexion, and opted for teal.

I'm not superstitious, but the symbolism of colour is so engrained in the collective unconscious, that reading that teal and tuquoise are associated with healing power only added to the sense of contentment.

And, in passing, the shade of teal chosen is almost exactly the one found on Alan Glynn's thriller, "Winterland", in the Saint Martin's Press edition from New York.

Could the augeries be any better, I wonder?

The jury is still out on why our president chose magenta, however, though it may well be dark lipstick pink. One site suggests that this shade of red is associated with "releasing the past agony and moving forward". However, it might be worth trying for a tone of this invigorating colour that leaps less dramatically from the TV screen, leaving its wearer behind.

Fair dinkum, whatever the symbolism...

2 comments:

seana graham said...

The color on the cover of Winterland was very memorable, although I am not sure I associated it with healing. Maybe more 'reflection'.

Photographe à Dublin said...

The colours on the cover image were chosen as an exercise in late 19th, early 20th century toning and were a bit of fun.

The interesting thing about colour that, like smell, it works at a subconscious level, though the shared cultural associations are learned.

There was a lot of discussion about the fact that the Queen's first outfit in Ireland was green. Unless I'm blind, it was not emerald green, but this is what it is being claimed to be on many newspaper sites, as emerald green is the national colour of Ireland. Jade, cyan and aquamarine are better contenders, I think, but in any case it was one of the "Forty Shades of Green" for which this damp climate is noted.