Saturday, June 11, 2011

Verona

There were references to Shakespeare everywhere in Verona.

Young people gathered in the courtyard under Juliet's balcony and photographed one another either in appealing gestures upwards towards an imaginary lover or standing beside the statue of our heroine.

There was a bust of Shakespeare with a quote from "Two Gentlemen of Verona" on one street.

I now wonder why the bard was so taken with this town.

Antique Verona

2 comments:

seana graham said...

He never actually went there, did he? And no photos either.

Photographe à Dublin said...

There seem to be connections between garden designers of the time. "Two Gentlemen of Verona" (a play I don't know) takes place in a garden.

Once I have recovered from all the walking, thinking, looking and eating, I'll upload some photos of the Giusti garden. The gardens were started in 1580 and are considered to be among the most beautiful in Italy... just the right date to link up with Shakespeare.

"pbase.com/alymd/giardino_giusti_verona"

"veronissima.com/sito_inglese/html/topic_hidden-tresures.html"

Also, in reference to your post on your blog, l'Hexagone is what the French call France, due to the six sided shape of the country.