En passant, I've been thinking, as one does when scrubbing walls and floors, of Aristotle's Poetics...
The most interesting aspect of a post shared by Peter Rozovsky is that nobody posted a comment or any insight into the place of mimesis when it is linked to the grotesque.
classicreader.com/book/2601/4/
Offering a context for this quote from the Poetics would open a good debate on Noir.
I avoid going to most contemporary films because the premise that an audience enjoys grotesque imagery is so fashionable.
Even after a relatively ordinary story like "The Help" I was not particularly comfortable as the link in the Title Bar Explains.
Thursday, November 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I agree. I recently posted a piece on why I'm reading less neo-noir, in large part because I think too much of it has gone past noir. It didn't occur to me to use the word "grotesque," though it should have. That's exactly what I meant.
Don't beat yourself up over not finding "le mot juste", mon ami (that's an attempt at a noirish joke, BTW.)
In France, "grotesque" can even be used in the case of a badly made omlette.
Post a Comment