Friday, November 4, 2011

Writing, the New Black?

There are now so many people unemployed that writing has become the most fashionable activity going. Groups form to discuss style and metaphor. Our house is filling with books published, in limited editions, by local writers. Competition for getting published on on the increase and an ability to turn a phrase is opening doors everywhere.

Since I find it a chore to engage with new people as I have enough friends already, these activities are not of much interest but for the more extraverted or for those compelled by necessity to earn a living they are a lifeline. A friend told me years ago that, contrary to the usual perception, acting could bring in a good living. Writers are the rockbed of the theatre, even if improvisation can sometimes seem to be one way of saving money by not having a script.

It is worth mentioning here that I recently met a writer who thought an idea had been "borrowed" by another person when it had been offered for analysis in a group setting. The joys of journalism left me with the feeling that even editors should not be let next or near one's copy, as the destruction they wrought, often out of boredome at being cooped up in an office, was considerable.

So I share this here as a warning to anybody who is thinking of joining a writing group...

No comments: