Literature extends so far beyond the realms of fiction and poetry, the two genres most beloved of university course setters, that I face into 2012 with renewed energy to be applied to finding
links to a factual world that is more solid and satisfying than the one found in novels.
Thanks to Seana's heart warming post about the word "Trifle" I set off to find that this overwhelming dessert is
a descendent of the "foole", a lighter concoction still associated with goosberries.
This led, in turn, to an insight that was made very early on in my reading life. I prefer writers who love good food and who write of it with relish
and insight. Dickens and Proust win out here and I account for my dislike of Joyce as being linked to the way he either iconises the fruits of the world or writes
of very uninspiring dishes like peas reeking of pepper. The food of post WW2 England now make much of Orwell unreadable, though I continue to admire his documentary writings.
The fussing of cooks down through the ages would make an interesting thesis, if one ever found the energy to think about it.
Most of us are too busy cooking real food to knuckle down to such a chore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Nice post. Although now you've gotten me interested in gooseberries...
It's okay, though. I don't really cook, so I've got time.
I suppose that to "play gooseberry" has the same meaning with you as it has here... to be the person who is "de trop" at a visit or outing.
The food in universities has ensured I shall never take another full time course, even though I was once tempted to think about it.
It seems to be, in general, worse than that in hospitals, if such is possible.
As for writing and cooking, there is nothing like being "chained in the kitchen" to inspire new ideas.
Post a Comment