Literary versus Genre seems to be a fashionable problem.
I'm beginning to wonder if my personal Celtic Twilight helps me skate happily over areas that trip others up.
To the six pillars of wisdom that support the meaning of "Literary Fiction" (in the title bar above), I would add a seventh...
that of authority and establishment values, including the prizes which hang about "literary" writers' necks.
It seems that the superior tone adopted by some publishing houses when they use
the term may seem to denigrate "genre fiction". However, this may simply be the reader's
understanding of the case and is not particularly meant to annoy.
I would never buy a book because if was labelled "literary".
In fact, it often indicates that the contents may be dull and "worthy". However, personal preferences do not seem to account for much and
the term seems to be firmly established in common use.
"Literary Fiction" is relatively new as a recognisable genre, dating from the
1960's. The truly energetic are still grappling with whether or not it actually can be called a distinctive genre, and much ink is spilled during the debate. It would be interesting to know where exactly it started and who popularised its use. John Updike was not pleased to have his work tagged with the phrase.
Frankly, I blame the Greeks, who long before the invention of television, could find nothing better to do of an evening than split linguistic hairs and
drive us all daft.
I'm not a great fan of genre analysis in any case and now the word "thriller" has got me quite puzzled indeed.
Writing is, I have to admit, an exacting craft...
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Thanks. I had wondered when literary came to be used in the sense that I used it over at my site, but you answered the question.
It's interesting to learn that Updike, that paragon (for some) of literary fiction objected to the tag. But then, he defended Joyce Carol Oates when she was attacked for writing too much and for writing crime stories.
==========================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/
Glad to be of use.
I have begun to understand recently why, having spent most of my time with literature and literary issues, graphics are gradually luring me away.
Has there ever been a writer who is not paradoxical and given to sudden shifts of opinion.
It's all a bit unsteadying, but such fun...
I've also been aware of this distinction. I know that people even use the phrases 'elevated genre fiction' or 'literary genre fiction' to raise a novel's distinction in terms of its writing quality. I also think that 'literary' can even just refer to the greater character, rather than plot, focus. Again, splitting hairs, but this is a worthwhile thing to think about.
So glad that you enjoyed the Mulholland Books website and hope you return to read and discuss the guest posts by authors such as Lawrence Block, Joe Lansdale, Don Winslow and Nelson DeMille!
Minnie
It would be interesting to here more of your thoughts on this, Minnie.
There was a very strong high moral tone to all reading material during my childhood. What was considered "suitable material for a novel" was taken quite seriously and, for some adults, the 19th century rules and regulations of character and plot were sacrosanct.
It was a great relief to read Oscar Wilde's manifesto at the beginning of Dorian Gray.
It seems to sound a riposte to the Shakespeare, Milton and the Bible brigade.
Post a Comment