The question of time is embedded in narrative itself and if you take a look at Kant it might help to see what the ground of battle actually is.
Modernism, with the breakdown of recognizable form in all the arts, is very worthwhile and while I much prefer reading Proust, Joyce is a very lucid guide to the problems facing the writer of his time.
"Time after time" is a reference to the Epiphany that Joyce discusses in "The Portrait..." and it is almost staring the reader in the face that the object Stephen chooses for his discussion is a street clock.
I spent much of my graduate years having Joyce read at me by fellow students who seemed to love the sound of their own voices and who would engage one on the question of Vico and history for hours.
That is how I account for the fact I became a gardener, not an academic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment