I have had more editors in my life than most people could shake a stick at. (And, yes, I know a sentence should never end with a preposition... though a proposition might be another kettle of fish.)
I liked them; they liked me. But the bizarre nature of language itself has ensured an increasing interest in photography.
What is the worst an editor can do with an image?
Crop it?
Make a pig's ear of the colours... or since colour is increasingly a luxury in many print editions, reduce it to a murky shadow of its former self?
Insert a portrait of a person who was not there in the first place, who may be years dead and whose insertion into the scene will be cause for rows, revolutions and general mayhem.
James Joyce, being an enthusiastic self-editor, did not even need others to
create mayhem round him. Printers even went on strike because they didn't
like the words themselves, not just the order in which they were presented.
Anybody who wishes to make sense of "Finnegans Wake" (and brave souls they are, one and all) might do worse than visit Finnegansweb.com.
There is a very long explanation of the word "pentschanjeuchy", a portmanteau
expression that seems to owe much to the German language in its form, though
though the meaning runs a full gamut from the Old Testament, through Punch and Judy to the French "penchant".
Really, I ask you...
Saturday, April 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment