Off we went on the Luas this morning for a chatty lunch in town, followed by a visit to the Matisse exhibition at the Chester Beatty Library.
It was worth it all, especially as we bumped into several friends and I even got to take quite a few photos.
Dublin is glowing at the moment. It is a city ripe for literary exultation and it is about time that more writers took to just singing the praises of the capital, a sort of riposte to all the moaning that comes from the hacks who try to befuddle us with misery daily.
The radio was turned off with a very definite sense of survival this morning.
If I had continued to listen, the will to live, not only the will to get out of bed would have been lost.
I have wandered over to "Hobbits, Home and Abroad" for some solace.
"Will Oxford perhaps abandon the apostrophe?", they are wondering.
Having corrected the question to
"Will Oxford, perhaps, abandon the apostrope?", it dawns on me that I, literally, couldn't care less. We were brought, years ago, round the Bodleian Library by a lively minded French expert who was much impressed by the fact that I had graduated from a college where anybody who stole a book was excommunicated. Somehow, the exigences of a classical education have mellowed in my mind over the years and I think it's about time for new generations to take a bash at forming the language "as she is spoke".
With so many British teachers on strike today, the last thing on many individuals minds is the fate of the apostrophe.
Survival... that's what it's about...


4 comments:
Lovely photo.
Survival is indeed what it's all about.
I happened on the Chester Beatty when I was staying on in Dublin and loved it. It was one of my favorite things. There was a young or as they say 'emerging' artists exhibit, which was great. My kind of museum.
I'm delighted you liked the Chester Beatty. The Matisse exhibition is all about art and book illustrations and gave an opportunity to read some French poetry aloud.
Hope you're surviving nicely, as we are here.
"No complaints", as we tend to say, even when the world is imploding.
Perhaps the apostrophe is the last bulwark of civilization?
I'm in deep water now, Joe, as you are an expert in matters linguistic.
I suppose a bulwark would be useful if one sees civilization as being under threat.
Military metaphors abound these days, but I take a more homely view of things.
When one has to learn that LOL and TYVM are common currency on the Internet and that apostrophes take up too much space on Twitter for younger generations to notice them much, I have to admit I'm ready to go with the flow.
Any links to apostrope information would be welcome.
Thank you for your comment and I hope that life is going well in Japan.
Post a Comment