Saturday, July 2, 2011

George Eliot and Venice

All the writers associated with Venice floated vaguely in my mind while we were there.



It is worth looking at
Middlemarch
A Study of Provincial Life

Written by: George Eliot
Edited by: Gregory Maertz

There's a link in the title bar and on page 606 of the Google online edition, mention of a "mater dolorosa" is linked to a footnote where the art of Venice, as seen by George Eliot is described.




I always found Dorothea in "Middlemarch" to be a bit of a pill.


Her sister had far more sense when it came to choosing a husband and, as time goes by, I come to admire and like Rosamond Vincy more and more.











Roses and Ripples in Venice

2 comments:

seana graham said...

Well, that's an interesting interpretation.

My college roommate was reading Middlemarch when we went on a trip to Europe. She fell in love with it, and passed it on to me. I was somewhat detached. I do like it, but I didn't fall for it the way she did. But I do remember her telling me about Dorothea's trip to I believe Rome before I read it, because I was struggling with all that at that time I thought I was supposed to be able to absorb. The fact that Dorothea's visit to see 'the Old Masters' was very comforting to me on some level.

I can't really fault Dorothea for making a very stupid matrimonial choice, because it might have all worked out if Casaubon had been even halfway human. Having seen a marriage or two of this type myself.

Photographe à Dublin said...

What I like about "Middlemarch" is how each character has a blind spot which is very sensitively explored.

My husband thinks that Dorothea is the model of female beauty and intelligence. I think the fact that she is called "Dodo" speaks for itself.

Above all, the writing is a joy and this reminds me to read more of George Eliot.

•"If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence."


As you point out, Seana, it is easy for a young woman to make a disastruous marriage. However I studied in a University which had been founded as a religious seminary. There were many Casaubons there and they were adept at making ladies play second fiddle.