This post is intended as a contribution to a discussion about Carofiglio and the work of the translator that is bubbling away on "Detectives Beyond Borders".
The "flow" and story driven narrative gives a lot to think about.
Since the recent crime wave has taken over Ireland, writer friends and I spend a lot of time discussing narrative voice and (I'm a bit worried about admitting this here) bemoaning the lack of description of places and characters that still send some of us back to Dickens, George Eliot and Proust.
One friend, stunned by dialogue in one book I proffered, just gave up.
I intend to soldier on, but really it can call for some heavy lifting...
The same friend hated Carofiglio... but perhaps he is best read in Italian?
I often find that translations into French from Italian or Spanish work better for me than when a work is transposed into English.
Ours is such a pragmatic language that much romance and finesse is lost along the way.
Carofiglio must be very popular... 24 translations underway as I write.
gianricocarofiglio.com/biography.shtml
Friday, September 30, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I mean to get to Carafiglio sooner rather than later. His protagonist seems like my kind of guy.
Post a Comment