Sunday, October 16, 2011

Παράδοξο

I have come up with a fool-proof excuse for never studying philosophy. My mind works in paradox and there is never the possibility of positing any idea that does not, in a flash, invite the consideration of its opposite.

This struck me when, having contributed to a post about the parlous state of public language today, I obliterated my original comment by stating what is almost the direct opposite opinion. It is good that linguistic experts examine the way that hacks and politicians play fast and loose with our language, I thought. Then it struck me that forever, back to the first speakers in time, there have probably been those who think that, as a species, we could express ourselves with more clarity and "con brio".

I've always loved the myth of the Tower of Babel.
In fact, I think that my task as a blogger is to climb what's left of it daily and try to get a view of the world around as she is spoke.

1 comment:

seana graham said...

A friend who studied some philosophy told me that his current philosophy was always pretty much in accordance with whatever philosopher they happened to have just studied.

I on the other hand, when I came across them in my western civ classes, usually found a lot to take exception to. Not that they weren't a lot brainier than me, but they all seemed to have some very foolish hobby horse or other, and often a condescending view of ordinary people. (Looking at you, Plato.)