Sunday, October 16, 2011

Urban

I spent much of last night watching "Cloverfield". I took it gingerly... in snatches. The enervating hand held camera was meant to disorientate and it succeeded.

Looking at my own static view of urban life, there may be a lot to be learned from the dystopic images that younger people admire. I look for the balanced and poised stability of city life that will endure over time. Many works of art see the transitory nature of the urban experience.

Plenty to think about, it seems...


Contemporary Dublin

3 comments:

seana graham said...

That's a good point. The cities we actually live in can seem edgy and twitchy, but as tourists we tend to visit cities for what they offer over the long view.

Photographe à Dublin said...

Apart from the main shopping areas, which are very packed and busy, Dublin is a relatively quiet city. Certainly it does not have the atmosphere of a large Metropolis like Paris or London.

If you do a search for "Manhatta" by Paul Strand and Charles Sheeler you are in for a treat.

"http://www.getty.edu/art/gettyguide/videoDetails?segid=3516"

The full film is on Youtube.

seana graham said...

Great. I'll take a look at that after work.