Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Devil May Be In the Detail...

but since I've started playing Devil's advocate in relation to the book trade, just to pass the time I must admit, I find that I could not imagine a world without printed books.

My latest great blog find, Book Dirt, has similar interests and has a very lively debate up and running on the subject of print and/or digital.

I opt for the continuation of both, but when I think about the rare metals like coltan that are needed to fuel our new computers and e-readers, felling trees may not be the great catastrophe that is constantly being discussed in the official media. Trees can be grown, over and over. The resources that fuel computers are finite.


One gifted friend, years ago, used make her own paper. It would not give enough pages for a blockbuster, but for art and graphic design there would be more than enough.


I no longer fear my computer and, once it stopped lecturing me with the warnings that were so frequent ten years ago like "you have performed an illegal operation" (it made me feel like an inexperienced brain surgeon) I'm sure an e-reader would not be a great challenge if I were ever to be compelled to get one.

However, I can buy a stack of remaindered books in my local bookshops for less than thirty Euro while the new toys seem to be a bit pricey.

Really it's all about what the market can bear.

No comments: