The festive season has left most of us happily restored to good health thanks to foods high in fats and sugars. These are essential for survival in the long, dark Northern Winters and anybody who moans about having not enjoyed themselves is usually difficult to stomach.
I have some great cookery books that include recipes for marshmallows and Turkish delight, which I no longer make but which are very easy. Pharmacies probably still stock rosewater and the essential liquid sugar, but gelatin is easy to find in supermarkets.
And all this information shared thanks to Seana, whose dalliance with trifles led to this:
"Years of watching American TV and films have left me with the illusion of being a minor expert on food across the States.
Toasting marshmallows around a camp fire I associate with America and one friend used drop a marshmallow in milky coffee as a special treat.
They are really easy to make, if you have an electric whisk that is up to the job.
I would look to Julia Child and Alice B Toklas for some interesting variations on how to use what seems to be an iconic American sweetmeat.
"http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/24/business/24julia.html"
Also, when I get a moment I must rummage in my Jewish cookbooks which are the very best of all."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
It was really a mistake for me to pop over here before eating lunch!
Post a Comment