... on behalf of the crime writer.
The link in the title bar shows how I returned reeling from an intense two hour session on the subject of crime writing in Ireland.
It was an exceptionally interesing, if highly charged encounter.
It was very enlightening to hear how the writers look to the American "True Crime" (and possibly police procedural) tradition in order to explore their own themes. Chandler and Hammett were mentioned, of course as well as Peter Temple.
Geography was mentioned, but not really fully engaged with, as the comparison between American fiction, where the landscape is so often a major character within the narrative made the Irish tradition seem less involved with topography.
Irish mountains seem to attract the imagination of Irish society in general,or so the speakers seemed to agree, and I have to admit I found this a bit
overdone.
There was, of course, the mandatory literary spat towards the end of the proceedings, though darned is I know what it was
all about.
At last, I got to meet some bloggers whose work is exceptionally good and often very humourous.


The link in the title bar shows how I returned reeling from an intense two hour session on the subject of crime writing in Ireland.
It was an exceptionally interesing, if highly charged encounter.
It was very enlightening to hear how the writers look to the American "True Crime" (and possibly police procedural) tradition in order to explore their own themes. Chandler and Hammett were mentioned, of course as well as Peter Temple.
Geography was mentioned, but not really fully engaged with, as the comparison between American fiction, where the landscape is so often a major character within the narrative made the Irish tradition seem less involved with topography.
Irish mountains seem to attract the imagination of Irish society in general,or so the speakers seemed to agree, and I have to admit I found this a bit
overdone.
There was, of course, the mandatory literary spat towards the end of the proceedings, though darned is I know what it was
all about.
At last, I got to meet some bloggers whose work is exceptionally good and often very humourous.




2 comments:
How nice that you got to put a face and voice to some of the bloggers. Of course, I'm dying to know what the literary spat was about, but I imagine you are too discreet for that.
Writers can tend to be over excited.
One draws a veil...
Post a Comment