Whenever I show the Saint Martin's Press edition of Alan Glynn's "Winterland" to friends they
shout enthusiastically.
"Oh, yes... John Connolly!!!"
I draw their attention to the unfamiliar name of the author, written in much larger font, and
they peruse the photoin the fly leaf with interest... puzzled interest and growing admiration
when they learn that "The Dark Fields", now pithily called "Limitless" has just hit the silver screen.
I have become so zealous in letting people know about Alan Glynn that I'm in danger of
becoming that most known of Irish stereotypes "The Character".
In Gunn's photography shop the other day, a lively discussion ensued when, presented with the cover art,
we argued the toss about "the photographer's eye". I was having none of it. All you need is a tripod and
keep the camera steady is my philosophy. The image is already there in the world around us, and a bit of
nifty toning never goes amiss. Atget's name came up again. His duotones continue to astonish me and
offer inspiration when it comes to colour contrasts.
Alan Glynn has been featured on the national news recently and is set to be a very popular writer among thriller fans.
Here is one of the covers of his second novel, "Winterland", set in the original Baroque Garden in Dublin...


No comments:
Post a Comment